UCGHI Student Ambassadors Program
UCGHI STUDENT AMBASSADORS PROGRAM
The University of California Global Health Institute is seeking applicants across all 10 UC campuses for its Student Ambassador Program.
This leadership opportunity is for all students (i.e., undergraduate, graduate, medical, nursing, law, etc.) who are dedicated to personal and professional growth by serving and representing their respective UC campuses. UCGHI Student Ambassadors will develop, organize, and promote Women's Health, Gender, and Empowerment (WHGE) or Planetary Health (PH) activities on their campuses and across all UC campuses and mobilize student, faculty and staff involvement to catalyze critical change. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to engage with key faculty, researchers, and leaders in either PH or WHGE while also strengthening your professional networks.
As a Student Ambassador:
You will develop a wide range of transferable skills. Student Ambassadors will benefit participating in campus, gain knowledge and expertise on WHGE/PH related topics, interact with UCGHI, collaborate with campus leaders and faculty members from across the UC, and gain leadership and advocacy skills. Ambassadors will be introduced to core concepts in PH/WHGE and how to apply these to real world programs. You will also be able to connect with Student Ambassadors from other UC campuses and interact with COE faculty who work with partners around the world to define science, policy and educational investments that advance the vision of long-term sustainability, and foster population resilience to environmental and social change.
The Women's Health, Gender and Empowerment Center of Expertise Student Ambassador Program Track
This leadership opportunity is for all students dedicated to becoming leaders in Women's Health, Gender and Empowerment by serving and representing their respective UC campuses. Student Ambassadors will develop, implement and promote activities to address women’s health, gender, empowerment, campus-based sexual assault and dating violence through research, education, and community engagement.
The Center of Expertise on Women's Health, Gender and Empowerment (WHGE) envisions a world in which equitable gender norms lead to healthy and empowered women — including UC students. The Center promotes research, education and community engagement both globally and locally to reduce gender and health inequities. Read more.
The Planetary Health Center of Expertise Student Ambassador Program Track
This leadership opportunity is open to all UC students dedicated to becoming leaders in Planetary Health and sustainable development. Student Ambassadors will develop, organize and promote PH activities on their campuses and across all UC campuses to expand knowledge of PH issues, mobilize student, faculty and staff involvement in PH initiatives, and catalyze critical change. This is an opportunity to become a leader that can balance the needs of populations and the planet.
The Center of Expertise on Planetary Health (PH) envisions a healthy planet supporting healthy people. The Planetary Health COE has the ability to galvanize faculty, researchers, and students across the ten UC campuses to address the threats and opportunities surrounding the health of populations and their environments and develop effective solutions. Read more.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at a UC campus (i.e., undergraduate, graduate, medical, nursing, law, etc.).
- Demonstrate strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Exhibit leadership, initiative, dependability, and enthusiasm.
- Interested in Women’s Health, Gender and Empowerment and/or Planetary Health topics.
- Ability to commit to the position for one academic year from time of appointment.
- Must commit to at least 5 hours of work per week.
Duties of Student Ambassadors:
- Identify and raise awareness about events and opportunities related to planetary health or women’s health, gender, and empowerment on their campus/community via social media.
- Support promotion of UC Global Health Day 2020 at UC Santa Cruz and have an opportunity to participate in the campus-wide conference on May 2, 2020.
- Promote COE related activities on campus via social media, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Participate in regular (monthly) Student Ambassador webinar meetings.
- Complete online Qualtrics application here: UCGHI Student Ambassadors Application
- Deadline: November 20, 2019
- Early December letters of acceptance are sent out.
For questions or more information contact:
UCGHI Program & Communications Coordinator
November 20, 2019
Access survey application:
UCGHI Student Ambassadors Program Application