UCGHI vice chair role and responsibilities
About the Vice Chair
In the absence of the Chair or in the event of the Chair's inability to act, the Vice Chair shall preside at meetings of the Board of Directors and shall perform such other duties and shall have such other powers as may be vested in the Vice Chair by the Board of Directors. The Vice Chair also serves on the Executive Committee, which oversees the activities of the Board of Directors. The Vice Chair will also chair committees on special subjects as designated by the Board.
The vice chair shall serve three-year terms. S/he may serve a maximum of two consecutive three-year terms as approved by the Board.
About the Board
The UCGHI Board of Directors oversees the business and affairs of UCGHI, which may exercise all such powers of UCGHI. The Board is responsible for overall policy and direction of UCGHI. However, it delegates responsibility for day-to-day management and operations to the Director and Co-Directors.
Appointments, Size and Compensation – Each UC campus will be represented by a Board member. No less than one-quarter of the Board shall be from non-health sciences disciplines. The Board may increase the number of members at any time, but shall maintain the percentage of non-health sciences members. The Board shall not have fewer than 10 members. The Board receives no compensation other than reasonable reimbursement for expenses incurred as a result of attending Board meetings or engaging in Board activities.
Meetings – The Board meets at least three times per year at an agreed upon time and place. The Board typically meets twice in person and once virtually. Board members are expected to attend all meetings of the Board of Directors.
About the executive committee (EC) of the Board
The Executive Committee is comprised of the Chair of the Board; the Vice Chair of the Board; a senior UC administrator; and the UCGHI Director and Co-Directors.
Responsibilities of Executive Committee:
- Attend EC meetings, which will be held monthly
- Participate in approving the Institute’s strategies and priorities, formulated by the Director and Co-Directors.
- Monitor UCGHI’s progress
- Advise on new programs, directions and fundraising
- Serve as advocates and representatives of UCGHI
- Determine Board meeting agenda items wherein the Board would benefit from the attendance of UCGHI program directors or other guests
- Recommend to the Board nominees for the Director and Co-Directors based on pool of candidates created by the Governance and Nominations Committee
- Appoint the Chair and Vice Chair of the Board (with subsequent affirmative vote of the Board) based on a pool of candidates created by the Governance and Nominations Committee.