The Women's Health Gender and Empowerment (WHGE) Center of Expertise’s newest signature project is the California Home Abortion by Telehealth (CHAT) Study. This contest is part of an ongoing collaboration between the CHAT Study, the WHGE COE, and the UCGHI Student Ambassadors Program to raise awareness about the telehealth model for abortion care.
DEADLINE: Sunday, January 9th, 2022 (11:59 pm PST)
Prize: $500 Visa gift card
Illustration Contest Overview: The California Home Abortion by Telehealth (CHAT) Study is a patient-centered, prospective observational study among participants seeking abortion via telehealth services available in California and other states. The CHAT study is examining the efficacy and safety of using telehealth models for abortion care, which eliminate the need for in-person clinic visits. The study is also looking at patients' experience of using this model of care. We invite diverse voices to submit a set of 3 illustrations that will be featured on the pages of the CHAT study’s website and other communication materials. The contest is intended to capture the passion and creativity of the communities we serve
Requirements: 3 illustrations (maximum file size 100MB each), title (<50 characters)
Each illustration should address one of the following themes:
- Virtual clinics/Telehealth (at least one of the illustrations must address this theme)
- Reproductive justice
- Reproductive health and self-care
- Abortion pills
- All individuals are eligible to apply (Applicants need not be affiliated with UC)
- Entrant must enter the contest as an individual
- Each entrant is allowed one submission
- The submission must be the original idea of the submitting individual
- Complete Qualtrics entry form
- Upload illustrations (please note that file uploads must be smaller than 100 MB each)
- Image must be saved in JPG/JPEG format, 150-300 dpi
- Only one file may be uploaded per ‘File Upload’
- For security reasons, executable files (e.g. those ending in .exe) are not allowed. - Upload 150-200 word caption as a Word document
- All submissions should be formatted as follows: [Title of Submission]_[First Initial].[Last Name]
The review committee consists of UC faculty, staff, and students. Three (3) finalists will be identified by the review committee and the winner of the competition will be selected based on the following criteria:
- CONTENT: How well does the submission address the aims of the contest? Are the illustrations applicable to the theme?
- CLARITY OF COMMUNICATION: Do the illustrations clearly communicate its intended message? Do the illustrations demonstrate effective storytelling?
- ACCESSIBILITY: How well do the illustrations engage the audience? How well does the message and/or presentation appeal to a broad audience?
- Winning Entries: The winner of the competition will receive a $500 Visa gift card. The winner’s illustrations displayed on the CHAT study website. The winning entry will be notified on Friday, February 11, 2022.
Contest Rules: Each entrant is allowed submission of one set of illustrations. The entry must be previously unpublished and original to the entrant who is the sole owner of all rights to the artwork. Plagiarism or other violations of the rules will result in disqualification. The entrant also agrees to allow the UC Global Health Institute and the CHAT Study to use their name and artwork on affiliated web sites and grants licenses to publicly display the artwork in whole or in part, for purposes including advertising and promotion. We reserve the right to request minor changes from the winning submission, but the artist is not obligated to make any requested changes.
Questions? Please contact Program Coordinator, Linda Shin.