Submission System Opens
Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Submission Deadline - extended
Monday, December 16, 2019 (11:59pm PST)
Notifications of Acceptance
Friday, February 7, 2020
Confirmations Due from Accepted Submissions
Friday, February 21, 2020
Process & Criteria
A committee of UC faculty and staff will evaluate and select submissions for inclusion in the breakout sessions. Proposals are welcome from UC faculty, staff, students, visiting scholars and postdoctoral affiliates. Preference will be given to sessions featuring interactive formats (e.g. workshops, roundtable discussions, small group case studies, multi-media presentations, etc.) and sessions demonstrating interdisciplinary and cross-campus collaborations.
All accepted breakout session presenters will receive complimentary registration to UC Global Health Day 2020.
- Proposals must span an entire session of approximately 45 minutes.
- Total word count may not exceed 400 words.
- Proposals must include: session title, description, participants, format, a/v & equipment needs (rooms are equipped with table, chairs and a projector).
- Proposal descriptions must clearly state objectives of the breakout session and demonstrate relevance to global health and UC Global Health Day.
- Each proposal must be submitted by a session organizer who will serve as the primary contact prior to and during the event.
- All session organizers must have an official current affiliation with the University of California (e.g. student, postdoctoral fellow, faculty, staff, visiting scholar, etc.). UC alumni can submit proposals if they have graduated within the last 3 years (i.e., since 2016).
- Proposals must include the names, emails, and affiliations of all session participants at the time of submission. There may be a maximum of 3 co-authors listed on your proposal.
- Individuals are limited to participate in one breakout session in order to maximize total participation.
- Session organizers are limited to one proposal.
- Students proposing to organize and lead sessions must have a UC faculty mentor to guide their participation in the event.
- Commitment to participate must be confirmed before submission. UCGHI must receive confirmation by February 16, 2020 or the session slot will be forfeited.
- Breakout session time and location will be announced shortly after confirmation of participation.
- Sessions will have 45 minutes for presentations and up to 15 minutes prior to the session’s start time for set up. Observing start and end times are essential to the success of UC Global Health Day.
- Rooms will be equipped with projectors, chairs, and tables only. Additional equipment, including laptops, adaptors, and pointers must be provided by presenters.
Travel Scholarships for Student Presenters
UCGHI will provide funding to support travel for student presenters in breakout sessions.
$300 maximum per person for student breakout session presenters from UC Irvine, UC Los Angeles, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, and UC Santa Barbara.
$100 maximum per person for student breakout session presenters from UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC San Francisco, UC Merced.
- Travel scholarships awarded to current students only**
- Travel funding cannot be increased, deferred or exchanged
- Amounts will be determined by the location of the team member’s home UC campus (see above)
- Funding support can only be used to offset travel expenses (standard domestic)
- Funding will be distributed in the form of reimbursements following the event. Reimbursements must comply with standard UC policy and include all relevant receipts and signed reimbursement forms. All requests for reimbursement must be received by Tuesday, June 2nd (one month after event date). One reimbursement request per presenter. Group reimbursement requests are not allowed.
- A maximum of three (3) student presenters from each breakout session can be supported by student scholarships
* Complimentary registration is applicable to all three participating members of the breakout session team. Proposals must include the names of all team members at the time of submission. Registration cannot be exchanged.
** To qualify for funding, the breakout session presenter must be a current UC student. UCSC students are excluded from travel scholarships due to proximity. Presenters who are faculty, postdocs, etc. do not qualify for UC Global Health Day student scholarships.
How to submit
We are using Catalyst to collect breakout session proposals.
- Click the button below to register with your email address.
- Once your account has been confirmed you will be able to start the application process.